Re: [Chicken-users] ANN: Test version of new egg release system availabl

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] ANN: Test version of new egg release system available
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 18:06:49 +0200

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 12:05:01AM +0200, Peter Bex wrote:
> > There are still a few rough spots; it would be nice if releasing an
> > egg would be more automated (with a shellscript, for example), so you
> > don't need to manually maintain the meta-file and release-info file.
> > This will be worked on during the rest of this week.
>
> I've now added this for two VCSes: subversion and mercurial.
>
> There's a chicken egg called "svn-egg-author" now:
> http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/svn-egg-author

I've improved on this so that svn-egg-author is no longer necessary for
eggs hosted on call-cc.org.  This means less chance of mistakes and
other errors, and less work if you're not using svn-egg-author.
It also means that the eggs by everyone who isn't using the new system
will still be installable by everyone who is.

In short: The old workflow of simply tagging an egg now also works under
the new distributed system.

I've removed all release-info files from svn since they're no longer
used or neccessary.  If you would like more control over which releases
are actually available (if it's a subset of the tags, for example) or
the files shouldn't all be downloaded, you can still override this.
Just drop me a note and I'll update the egg-locations file to point to
your custom release-info file again.

If you would like to host your eggs in svn on your *own* server, you
can install the "pseudo-meta-egg-info" egg to make releasing eggs as
easy as it is on call-cc.  For those willing to experiment, it should
in principle also be possible to run pseudo-meta-egg-info for
alternative version control systems like Mercurial or Git.  Because
popular code hosting sites have a way to download tarballs of tagged
releases, it isn't as necessary for those systems though.

Documentation for pseudo-meta-egg-info lives on the wiki, as usual:
http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/pseudo-meta-egg-info
(this egg is only available under the new system!)

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx