Re: [Chicken-users] Hello World execution time

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Hello World execution time
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 16:39:32 -0400

Tobia Conforto scripsit:

> "Hello, World execution time"—may not be the most meaningful of
> benchmarks, but it's pretty important when you are writing shell scripts
> / cron jobs / random commandline utilities. It also serves to compare
> the startup overhead of different execution environments. So I ran this
> benchmark for my own curiosity and I thought you might like the results.

It's astonishing that bash is faster than anything but C.

> I like the median more than the mean, when measuring things.)

Naturally.  If you only get to provide one statistic, make it the median.
(If you get to provide two, make it the mean and the standard deviation.)

> The choice of languages is arbitrary. C is compiled, Mono and Java
> are poor-man's-compiled, the rest is interpreted.

Actually both Mono and Java are JIT-compiled, but such a short program
doesn't give the JIT time to warm up.

--
John Cowan  address@hidden  http://ccil.org/~cowan
If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing