Re: [Chicken-users] tinyclos on windows

From: Christian Kellermann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] tinyclos on windows
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 19:01:14 +0100

Dear Hans,

* Hans Nowak <address@hidden> [101226 02:07]:
> According to http://code.call-cc.org/, the current Chicken release is
> 4.6.0.  That is also the release I have installed on this machine.
> So, when I install an egg (without specifying a version), I would
> expect to get a version of that egg that works for 4.6.0, or maybe an
> error message if there is no such version.  Instead, the behavior
> seems to be, that a version of said egg is downloaded which does not
> work under 4.6.0, but which does work for later versions.

You are perfectly correct in your understanding. 4.6.0 is the latest
stable release and all eggs should work with this. However there
has been a bug in chicken that I beleive causes this issue which
should have been fixed in the development snapshot 4.6.1. My
suggestion has been to test this on windows with that. Since I don't
have access to a windows box during the holidays I cannot do so
myself. Sorry if this caused confusion on your side.

> This is a confusing situation.  If I use the stable version 4.6.0, I
> cannot use tinyclos (and maybe other eggs, I don't know; it is not my
> intention to single out tinyclos here).  On the other hand, I am
> reluctant to use 4.6.1 or newer, because that seems to be a
> development version, which is likely to have recent and undocumented
> (so far) changes, and maybe more egg breakage.

You are correct. Your choices are now: staying with 4.5.0 if tinyclos
works there for you, trying the latest dev snapshot (As I said above
I think 4.6.1 should work.) or wait for 4.7.0.

> Isn't there some sort of mechanism in place that handles issues like
> this?  (E.g. if I use Chicken 4.6.0, download a version of egg 'foo'
> that works for it.  If I use a bleeding edge version of Chicken,
> download the development version of that egg. Etc.)  Maybe there is,
> but I am not aware of it?  Or is there something else I am
> misunderstanding or doing wrong?

No at the moment there is no such mechanism in place. Some eggs do
have tests in their install script to check for newer features.
However tinyclos should work. On the other hand tinyclos has been
deprecated by the maintainer too so who knows what else you will
find with newer versions. I do use coops nowadays with the additional
benefit of being able to interface with C++....

chicken-install (or chicken-setup) used to be a small tool to get
and build sources of eggs. Nowadays it is in the transition to a
packet manager. Not everyone on this list thinks that this is a
good idea...

However I am always interested in new ideas. If you do have something
on your mind I would love to hear about it.

Kind regards,

Christian