Re: [Chicken-users] dev-snapshot 4.6.3

From: Alex Shinn
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] dev-snapshot 4.6.3
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 00:03:55 +0900

John Cowan <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 8:58 AM, Felix
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> - the `regex' library unit has been removed and is separately
>>  available as an extension which should be fully backwards-
>>  compatible
>> - `irregex' is now a core library unit and replaces the
>>  `regex' API
>
> I understand the merits of reducing core dependencies, but have
> performance comparisons been made?  The last I heard, irregex was
> *much* slower than regex.

The switch to irregex was made a long time ago - this new
change is just replacing the API with the irregex API.  Not
only does this remove a needless wrapper layer, but the
irregex API provides more fine grained control for
performance.

Irregex is also asymptotically faster than PCRE, so despite
more constant overhead can run arbitrarily faster in certain
cases.

Also, as Peter says irregex performance was improved a lot
recently, and will continue to improve.  It's the core regex
library for Chicken and Jazz Scheme and a number of other
projects, so it gets a lot of attention.

--
Alex