Re: [Chicken-users] Packaging eggs

From: Felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Packaging eggs
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 10:12:53 -0400 (EDT)

From: Moritz Heidkamp <address@hidden>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 12:51:52 +0200

> Hi,
>
> first of all: thanks Jim for bringing this up, this will definitely help
> to clean up our repository a bit :-)
>
> Felix <address@hidden> writes:
>> The version is either the tag directory or inside the setup file.
>
> I wonder how that works when installing directly from a checkout. From
> my experiments, the version returned by extension-name-and-version is
> empty when I chicken-install from the trunk directory for example (which
> makes sense of course, where should it know the version from). The same
> is true when installing from within a tag directory though. Does
> switching to the version-from-tag-directory-name scheme mean that it is
> not possible to install from checkouts anymore?

Argh. You're right. An install from a checkout will always set the version
to "unknown". On the other hand, just checking the directory name does not
necessarily mean that the directory name is the version. So, being picky
about it, one could argue that, unless the version comes from henrietta,
it is not known and can not be guaranteed. Which is true.