Re: [Chicken-users] Qt egg - understanding it

From: Arthur Maciel
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Qt egg - understanding it
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 15:59:54 -0300

Martin, indeed Smoke seems to do what it is proposed to, but Chicken team is at an unfavorable moment for it: there are few people with a good knowledge+time score to explore that kind of solution.

I thought about setting the Qt egg to give the maximum of GUI support, leaving other functionalities to other eggs. For this, direct implementing each of GUI widgets seems to be the best way. However, one of the great advantages of Qt is to integrate many non-GUI functionalities into GUI (DBUS/IPC, networking,databases, XML processing support, etc.). With this in mind I imagine the only practical solution would be to build the giant wrapper or invest on porting Smoke.

Let's wait for Felix and Andrei to have their time, even in order to point us a direction on where we can help. Until then I believe what we can do is exactly what you have done: to list what needs we expect the egg to support. If those resume to strict GUI stuff, we can dedicate our learning effort to extend the multiple GUI widgets after the guys set the coordinates.

Regards,
Arthur

2010/8/25 Martin DeMello <address@hidden>
On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Felix
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Parsing the headerfiles is not that easy - there is a lot of magic
> in there and complex macros. You also would end up with a huge pile
> of wrapper code. There appear to be ways to invoke object-methods
> dynamically, though. But as I said repeatedly: I need some time
> to look into it.

Another approach would be to try to bind to smoke - there are Ruby and
C# bindings to act as an example, though when I asked Andrei about it
he said smoke was complex and poorly documented. I'm coming around to
his pov, that adding widgets in the order that people feel the need
for them would get us more bang for the buck.

Also, as others have noted, I would love to help with the Qt egg; I
just don't know enough about Qt or FFI bindings to C++. I can happily
contribute gruntwork once someone else has pointed the way, though :)

As a personal priority, I'd like to have bindings for keystroke
events, QListWidgetItem and the whole QGraphicsView/QGraphicsScene
framework (the latter might be more of a pipe dream at this point :))
I tried looking at the development egg, but couldn't figure out how to
add a new widget type, or whether I could just manipulate it as a
QWidget.

martin