Re: [Chicken-users] Re: Missing documentation for eggs

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: Missing documentation for eggs
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:15:32 -0400

Hi Felix

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:58:18 +0100 felix <address@hidden> wrote:

> Mario Domenech Goulart schrieb:
>>
>> I've made a very ugly and lame program to generate initial wiki
>> documentation for eggs based on the .meta file and on the module file.
>> It's at http://parenteses.org/mario/quickdoc/quickdoc.scm (needs
>> matchable).  It is far from perfect and has more flaws than features,
>> but if you are lucky, it can safe you some work when generating initial
>> wiki documentation for your egg.
>>

> A nice idea! I have a hack like this as well, but your script is
> much better.
>
> This script hangs for me, eating up memory while expanding the
> big `match' expression (I think). I tested this with 4.4.3 on
> Windows (mingw) and 4.4.0 on NetBSD.

I'm using it on a Debian Linux stable (x86) box.  It really takes quite
a long time when interpreted (~7s on a 2.4GHz machine).

Compiling this file on the mentioned machine takes ~34s (-O2).

The binary file generated runs instantly (~0.010s).

I tested it with 4.2.0, 4.3.0 and 4.4.0 and all of them finish in ~7s
when interpreted.

When you say it hangs you mean it takes much longer than 7s (considering
a similar hardware)?

> I assume this is a bug in `match', or in recent changes in
> the syntax-expander, which are incompatible to `match'.
>
> Can anybody confirm this with older chicken versions?

4.2.0 and 4.3.0 seem to work and take about the same time to finish.

Just in case, I just reinstalled matchable and got the same results (for
4.4.0).

Best wishes.
Mario