Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken scheme installation report (mingw-msys)

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken scheme installation report (mingw-msys)
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 14:39:30 +0100

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Mark Carter <address@hidden> wrote:

>   make PLATFORM=mingw-msys PREFIX=/usr/local bootstrap
> The problem is due to the use of backslashes.
> It should be noted that I am typing the commands from MSYS shell,
> where forward slashes are expected. If I run csi and csc from a normal
> DOS shell, then I get the same responses. In DOS, although the
> backslashes are correct, the filepath isn't. It's actually in:
>   C:\msys\1.0\local\bin

You must provide the PREFIX with a full, absolute pathname, including
drive-letter (this is actually documented in the README, but probably not
emphasized enough).
The problem is that subshells created by system(3) are running the DOS
shell, not
the MSYS shell, so the paths used in the shell-invocations must be
suitable for Windows.

> One philosophical problem to resolve is whether chicken development
> should be done from a DOS shell, or a MSYS shell. I am inclined to say
> the latter, as that is the normal development environment for MINGW.

Pure mingw provides only the compiler which is sufficient to get chicken
working on windows, but I would also recommend MSYS,
as the DOS shell really is unspeakably horrible.

Thanks for testing this.