[Chicken-users] newbie question about numbers

From: Hugo Arregui
Subject: [Chicken-users] newbie question about numbers
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 15:50:09 -0300

Hi,

I'm new in scheme, and, of course, in chicken too. I've a few newbie
doubts about numbers, I hope you can help me.

First, reading the scheme report I notice about a set of complex
numbers procedures:

make-rectangular
make-polar
real-part
etc

I found some of them implemented in chicken (without extensions), but
miss others. Specifically: make procedures. It's sound very strange to
me.

In other hand, I've doubts about number representations and exactness:

Can I represent a big integer as an exact number?

For example, when I try "#e2000000000", I get this error:
(inexact->exact) inexact number cannot be represented as an exact
number: 2000000000.0

In the Scheme revision I read: "For this purpose, numerical constants
may be written with an exponent marker that indicates the desired
precision of the inexact representation. The letters s, f, d, and l
specify the use of short, single, double, and long precision,
respectively.". Are these representations available in chicken?

Thanks,
Hugo.