[Chicken-users] Re: syntax-case and Chicken 4.2.0

From: felix
Subject: [Chicken-users] Re: syntax-case and Chicken 4.2.0
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 19:29:37 +0000 (UTC)

Dan Liebgold <dan.liebgold <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Do you know if syntax-case support is in the works?  Would you recommend I
stick with Chicken 3.x if I need it?(I'm test-porting an internal tool from
MZScheme to Chicken to see if I can get some performance improvements, and
we've
taken the plunge with syntax-case enough that I don't see rewriting as an
option.)Dan

Hello!

Support for syntax-case is not planned. There are two options, though: a
preprocessor that uses the psyntax expander and produces macroexpanded scheme
that can then be compiled normally (this is an ugly hack that will not make you
happy), or an implementation of syntax-case on top of explicit renaming (I don't
know if that is even possible. The different signatures for the transformer
procedures are a minor issue but can be worked around. Chicken doesn't use
syntax objects, but that should be possible to be made transparent to the
macro-writer, if the macro uses the proper operations). In any case a
major piece of work.