Re: [Chicken-users] Proposed procedure movement in Chicken 4

From: Matthew Welland
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Proposed procedure movement in Chicken 4
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 09:52:51 -0700

On Friday 11 September 2009 04:39:43 pm you wrote:
> 2009/9/10 Matthew Welland <address@hidden>
>
> > Seconded. I gave some code of mine to someone with instructions to
> > install chicken to compile it. He said it doesn't work. Oops. Yeah, You
> > gotta use 3.3. Ok, how do I get it. Uh, dunno. He now thinks chicken is
> > a POS. My fault for not testing my directions but annoying none the
> > less. I know you guys are stretched thin but please consider making
> > going *back* to 3.3 or similar easy and obvious from the chicken home
> > page. 4.X should be marked as experimental until 80 or 90% of the eggs
> > work IMHO.
> >

> > In other words 4.X is exciting and all but some of us are using chicken
> > to get things done and can't afford exciting ...
>
> Many eggs are not necessary anymore (like the myriad of html-generation
> ones, with sxml-transforms). Where did you get your 80% figure?

Out of my a.. of course.

> You could also provide a list of eggs that are missing for *your usage*.
> Or even try porting some.

I gave 4.1 another shot and now it looks like the eggs I need are there. Nice. A quick grep (listed below) though my stuff finds 40 or so eggs to check. That'll have to wait for another day but you are probably right that most are already available.

However it looks like I have some work to do to get my homegrown eggs working with 4.1. Perhaps I have to turn them into real modules? That will also have to wait for another day: I'll be sticking with 3.3 for another month or so but it looks like the transition to 4.X is less painful than the impression I got from the NEWS page. Kudos and thanks to all involved.

address@hidden:~/data/projects/scheme/solarcollector$ make
csc sol.scm

Warning: re-importing already imported syntax: foreign-declare
Syntax error (import): cannot import from undefined module

geolib

Expansion history:

<syntax> (##core#undefined)
<syntax> (##core#undefined)
<syntax> (##core#begin (##core#begin (##core#begin (##sys#require (quote geolib))) (import geolib)) (##core#b......
<syntax> (##core#begin (##core#begin (##sys#require (quote geolib))) (import geolib))
<syntax> (##core#begin (##sys#require (quote geolib)))
<syntax> (##sys#require (quote geolib))
<syntax> (quote geolib)
<syntax> (import geolib) <--

Error: shell command terminated with non-zero exit status 17920: /tmp/local/bin/chicken sol.scm -output-file sol.c

> --Stephen
>
> programmer, n:
> A red eyed, mumbling mammal capable of conversing with inanimate
> monsters.

bb
card
cgi-handler