Re: [Chicken-users] IPhone

From: Nicholas \"Indy\" Ray
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] IPhone
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 11:54:45 -0700

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 5:15 AM, felix winkelmann <address@hidden> wrote:
> I can understand that conservative GC is seen as a problem (it is
> by definition not reliable), but there are many GC strategies and
> a good, precise automatic memory manager that is safe for space
> complexity will actually use less storage (even if performing more
> allocations) than manual memory management, unless the latter
> is insanely tuned.

Not to start a large argument as I do see great benefits of GC, but as
a programmer who has been manually managing memory for many years,
I've hardly ever seen a circumstance where on average a GC'd
environment will use less storage, and the closer it gets, the more
often it needs to do collections. I figure it just terns out that that
the metric of 'insanely tuned' becomes default for those of us who
work in situations where it matters a lot.

Alas, I feel we are getting farther from really discovering why Apple
has chosen to eliminate GC from the IPhone SDK, considering they use a
precise generational collector, the only real problem that remains is
the lack of copying. Alas, I don't think any of this should prevent
any of us from using Chicken without a collector on the IPhone.

Indy