Re: [Chicken-users] egg announcement: remote-repl

From: F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] egg announcement: remote-repl
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 16:52:41 +0200

There are IMHO more important things we should concentrate on.  There's
still

a) a broken SRFI-34 egg - something easily ignored

b) a race condition in the scheduler (which's fix I meanwhile fixed wrt.
to multiple threads waiting for the same fd, though I would not expect
that to ever happen; but I got tired of reposting) - this one definately
needs to be handled by the scheduler; it's impossible to overwrite the
relevant part (at least if the doc's are right [hint]) and absolutely
necessary if you don't want your progs run havoc when a fd becomes
invalid for whatever reason.

c) Sometimes I get my app eating all memory just after a fork and before
I come to process-execute.  Since I disabled interrupts in this section
already, I'm sort of lost.  If someone had an idea what the hell that
one could possibly be...

Am Dienstag, den 19.08.2008, 06:55 -0700 schrieb Elf:

> > That's what I have been able to do bevor.  That's not the aim.  I need
> > to change all timeouts for all thread which are started after the
> > change.
>
> then all you have to do is use the environments egg to make or copy the
> base env before starting the server, and define an evaler to eval certain
> expressions in that environment rather than the local.

I'm not at all saying it can't be done without adding code to the
chicken core.  In fact I'm working with a version, which does what I
need.

All I've been advocating where a few additional lines of code to support
an additional feature *without* workarounds, *sharing* almost all code
at the cost of one additional comparison of symbols.

I fact I'm using environments too, for evalers in special environments.
But I'd consider it an overkill in that context.

>   if you would read the docs,

You've got the feeling I did not read docs nor code?

That's not the case.

And I'm not ready to arrive at personal insults for proposing what I
would consider an improvement. Still neither you nor anyone else has so
far shown it would cause any harm.

Best Regards

/Jörg