Re: [Chicken-users] egg announcement: remote-repl

From: F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] egg announcement: remote-repl
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 11:06:45 +0200

Am Montag, den 18.08.2008, 18:24 +0200 schrieb Tobia Conforto:
> Jörg F. Wittenberger wrote:
> > There are several timeout, counter and other parameters - within
> > chicken and elsewhere in my program - if I want to set them from a
> > "remote-repl", which presumably runs in it's own thread
>
> Untested idea:
> you could thread-signal! a custom condition to the appropriate
> threads, whose topmost condition handler (outside any parameterize)
> would read the new parameter values from global variables, or from the
> condition object itself, and set them.
>
> This would update the parameters on all threads involved, while
> preserving parameterize'd values.

Indeed that might be possible.

But it would require to either change a lot of spots around make-thread
occurrences and cond-expand that out for portability, or - when that's
prohibitive (in my case) - replace make-thread with such a toplevel
handler.  But than I'd be lost how I could address the parameter object.
It would probably have to be passed in the condition object.

To sum up: the approach feels not very clean to me.  It would be much
more practical to add another argument to make-parameter and have it
support all three parameter designs, wouldn't it?

/Jörg