[Chicken-users] Gambit Berkeley DB library

From: Mikael More
Subject: [Chicken-users] Gambit Berkeley DB library
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 08:43:13 -0600

Hi!

We're building a BDB library for Gambit right now. We leave it LGPL/Apache. You can have it.

Mikael

2008/6/1 Aleksej Saushev <address@hidden>:
Matthew Welland <address@hidden> writes:

> Has anyone tried using datadraw (http://datadraw.sourceforge.net/) with
> Chicken? If so did any of the claimed performance benefits transfer to
> Chicken code? It almost seems like a scheme compiler or interpreter could
> be built on top of datadraw or coupled extremely close to it rather than
> moving data in and out of it but in any case an interface to chicken seems
> like it'd be really cool.

Any comparison to Berkeley DB? Or is just anouther incarnation of GPL NIH?

> I have some large chunks of data to munge and Chicken + sqlite3 is proving a
> bit slow (8-20 hour run times) and I'm considering rethinking my approach.

There's a trade between speed and persistency, you can't get both.
If you want speed more than persistency, you should just drop the latter,
use main-memory DB or even no DB at all, if you don't need query language
or sharing data between processes.