Re: [Chicken-users] hygienic branch (progress report, sort of)

From: Leonardo Valeri Manera
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] hygienic branch (progress report, sort of)
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 18:08:52 +0200

2008/5/14 felix winkelmann <address@hidden>:
>  It would be helpful if the chicken users and
>  hackers take a moment to consider whether this is acceptable and right,
>  or whether we should keep the current system, which is less scalable
>  in terms of modularity, but nevertheless quite stable.

While multiple macro systems are cool in a way in theory, in practice
its a mess. That along would be worth breaking compat. in a major way,
if only for sanity reasons, let alone for a good module system.

... I lament the loss of match, as I've become enamoured of
explicit-renaming macros with pattern matching. Will this still be
doable with matchable?

Aaaanyways, I say got for it. Its going to be a bit painful keeping 3
and 4 synced feature-wise - I'm thinking mainly of Ivan's 'sane unit
names' project here - until 3.x is ready to be pushed into early (or
not so early depending on how long it all takes) retirement, but well
worth it in the end.

Cheers,
Leo