Re: [Chicken-users] ditching syntax-case modules for the utf8 egg

From: Alex Shinn
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] ditching syntax-case modules for the utf8 egg
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:55:16 +0900

    John> Alex Shinn scripsit:
    >> The new version actually makes this easier.  You can
    >> just have one version of spiffy that does
    >>
    >> (declare (not usual-integrations))

    John> But that would really suck: we want car to stay
    John> integrated while leaving string-length not
    John> integrated.  What you actually want is:

I'd rather people not include the full list by hand now,
since I'd like a compiler optimization such as

   (declare (not string-integrations))

to keep it simple to use.  I could actually add a syntax
module that does this so people could say

   (use no-string-integrations)

but the declaration seems cleaner.

    John> BTW, here's a small patch for utf8.html that makes
    John> it a little more true and a little less
    John> tendentious:

That last section was actually a not to myself and other
people who might want to hack the utf8 egg... it was never
intended to be in the public documentation.

Anyway, if I were being tendentious I would've had *much*
more to say about UTF-16 :) As it is, yes, the UCS-2 to
UTF-16 switch was unforseen by early adopters and was a huge
change in complexity.

Note most Common-Lisps seem to use UCS-2, which is
fundamentally broken, yet they pretend they don't have a
problem.

--
Alex