Re: [Chicken-users] google summer of code

From: Leonardo Valeri Manera
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] google summer of code
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 15:15:27 +0100

On 06/03/2008, Alex Shinn <address@hidden> wrote:
>  As you said, the semaphore/mutex thread model is broken.
>  Computer Science has advanced a lot since then, and there
>  are new concurrency models which are just as fast and easier
>  to program in.  Erlang is well known for its extremely high
>  performance, yet this model can be implemented just as
>  easily with multi-processes as with multi-threads (in fact,
>  since there would be no need to sync the GC or other global
>  state it may well be faster as processes).  And if
>  implemented as processes you can easily extend to multiple
>  machines, which is a *much* bigger win.

I don't particularly care whether its lightweight threading - so long
as there is smp support, otherwise I'll take crappy glibc-driven
threads, thnx - or native threading, so long as its full-featured.

Chicken's current thread system works pretty nicely, but its (imo) a
bit short on features compared to other languages.

Leo