Re: [Chicken-users] Eggs and licensing?

From: Peter Wright
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Eggs and licensing?
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 17:32:35 +0900

Replying to myself again (sigh :)), but I ran across an interesting
article about this specific issue:

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/3017/

"The GPL Has No (Networked) Future"

Relevant snippet:

> That dovetails rather well with the notion of "ethical software" as
> defined by Richard Stallman and, in fact, the FSF supported the
> creation of the Affero GPL and attempted to integrate it into the
> early drafts of the GPL3. However, that plan backfired and the FSF not
> only struck the text that would extend the GPL to software delivered
> as a service but clarified just what "to 'convey' a work" actually
> means.
>
>   Mere interaction with a user through a computer network, with no
>   transfer of a copy, is not conveying.
>
> In other words, software delivered as service is now officially
> not covered by the GPL.

Useful to know - I hadn't realised that they'd officially clarified
this in GPLv3.

Pete.
--
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be
a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the