Re: [Chicken-users] [ANN] fannkuch chicken benchmark!

From: Alaric Snell-Pym
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] [ANN] fannkuch chicken benchmark!
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 17:16:33 +0000

On 4 Mar 2008, at 4:12 pm, Elf wrote:

Old program:
    real   1m8.324s
    user   1m7.250s
    sys    0m0.563s

New program:
    real   0m25.048s
    user   0m24.500s
    sys    0m0.422s

C benchmark (for comparison):
    real   0m11.717s
    user   0m11.656s
    sys    0m0.000s

Not bad work at all!

I take it it's the inlining of "errinvoke" that makes all the
difference ;-)

Meh. I question the validity of a programming language shootout where
everyone's just optimising their code to the hilt, though. The
ability of a language to support *highly manually optimised code* is,
I think, a questionable measurement of its worth, although it would
be interesting to conduct a benchmark where lots of programmers
submit their own implementations of an algorithm, *along with how
many hours it took them to do and how many months of experience they
had with that language*, and the gradients of the resulting best-fit
lines be compared instead of any absolute value :-)

ABS

--
Alaric Snell-Pym
Work: http://www.snell-systems.co.uk/