Re: [Chicken-users] How can one get the latest html-dump of the doc?

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] How can one get the latest html-dump of the doc?
Date: 01 Mar 2008 02:07:32 -0300

Hi folks,

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 22:50:58 -0500 "Graham Fawcett" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 8:29 PM, Adhi Hargo <address@hidden> wrote:
> > How can one get the latest html-dump of the doc?
>
> There isn't an official one, AFAIK. The wiki content is stored in the
> svn repo, and you can always get the latest version there, but it's in
> wiki markup, not HTML.
>
> I've set up a quick hack to snapshot the wiki from svn, and generate a
> tarball. It's available at
>
> http://cleo.uwindsor.ca/static/chickendoc.tgz
>
> Next week I'll set up a cron job to refresh this nightly; at the
> moment it is a snapshot of the wiki as of about an hour ago.
>
> Warning, there are probably some wiki elements that did not convert
> properly; I'm using a modified version of a script called wiki2html,
> described here:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg07776.html
>
> It is not "perfect" but it is pretty good.

I feel I should not be writing this, since it would make galinha very
mad, but you can do something like:

 $ cd path/to/svn/repo/copy
 $ cd wiki
 $ mkdir html
 $ find -maxdepth 1 -type f | sed 's+./++' > wiki-files
 $ while read i; do wget "http://chicken.wiki.br/$i"; -O "html/$i.html"; done <
wiki-files
 $ rm wiki-files

It's not recommended, since it consumes lots of resources.  The
wiki2html script, which is the recommended, good enough approach,
generates readable HTML, as Graham mentioned.

Another alternative is the PDF manual you can get from
http://chicken.wiki.br/dev-snapshots/2008/02/24/chicken.pdf (you
should be able to get it from
http://chicken.wiki.br/dev-snapshots/current/chicken.pdf, but it seems
that since 02/25 the manual is not being generated, which indicates we
have a bug. Thank you for having induced me to look at this -- I'm
gonna trace the problem).

Best wishes,
Mario