Re: [Chicken-users] DBI

From: Tobia Conforto
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] DBI
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 01:51:17 +0100

Alex Shinn wrote:
the column info should be present once, not duplicated for every row. Since you may want to manage a huge number of rows in memory at once it makes sense to optimize for size. This could be a vector but it would probably be best to leave it unspecified and use an opaque accessor to retrieve fields, so that individual backends could just provide direct access to the row objects returned by the C library, without needing to copy any data.

+1

Utility functions could convert a row into an alist, in case the programmer needs/prefers one.

We should certainly build the DBI layer, but we should include something like SchemeQL on top of it. However, a big complaint I have with SchemeQL is that it's entirely macro-based, and provides no way to leverage its power to build dynamic queries. Our SchemeQL should be combinator based (something like the sql egg)

What's wrong with the sql egg? Can't we just use that, maybe improve it a bit?

Tobia