Re: [Chicken-users] What's the current version of eggs?

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] What's the current version of eggs?
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 14:25:14 +0100

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Alejandro Forero Cuervo
<address@hidden> wrote:

>  By which I mean...
>
>  Didn't we have a nice working system in which all eggs had version
>  numbers?  Wasn't it always possible to get version numbers from the
>  eggs in the HTML page at call/cc.org/eggs?
>
>  When did we decide to remove the idea of requiring releases to be made
>  of eggs, associating particular version numbers to identify them, as
>  described here
>
>   http://chicken.wiki.br/eggs%20tutorial#directory-structure

The version is given by the tag from which it is build, or, in the case
of untagged eggs, the version given in the .setup script.
Once installed, you can list the versions with "chicken-setup -l".
It was always like this. Nothing has changed.

>  If we're going to now use timestamps instead of version numbers, does
>  that mean we shouldn't really bother making releases at all, and
>  should start considering trunk/ as "the currently released code"
>  instead of the (usual) "the code we're working on to eventually
>  release"?

The timestamps are for meta-setup to see which eggs changed.