[Chicken-users] r5rs url help

From: Rick Taube
Subject: [Chicken-users] r5rs url help
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 11:24:33 -0600

i have a slightly-off-chicken problem that Im hoping someone on this list can help me solve. I have a Scheme code editor and im trying to implement symbol help lookup for r5rs scheme symbols. The basic idea is that you put your mouse on a r5rs symbol, type Command-? and then the r5rs doc for that symbol should pop up in your default browser. It all works except for the fact that -- at least on the the Mac -- trying to open Scheme's r5rs document at specific html #index locations fails because all r5rs #indexes start with '%' which causes the url opening to fail! Ive traced this to the to fact that the % char apparently screws up the Open command. For example if you type this open command in a Terminal:

galen:/Lisp/grace hkt$ open 'http://www.schemers.org/Documents/ Standards/R5RS/HTML/r5rs-Z-H-9.html#%_idx_630'

You get the error:

008-01-03 11:06:08.086 open[1708] No such file: /Lisp/grace/http:/ www.schemers.org/Documents/Standards/R5RS/HTML/r5rs-Z-H-9.html#%_idx_630

Ive tried various sorts of quoting on the url string, tried replacing '%' with '&37;' but nothing seems works. does anyone know how I can defeat the '%' character expansion so I can call a browser with urls with indexes like %_idx_630 in them?

thanks for any info or ideas...
rick