Re: [Chicken-users] Statically linkable eggs request

From: Thomas Christian Chust
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Statically linkable eggs request
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 17:52:52 +0100

Peter Wright wrote:
> On 19/11 14:06:12, Ivan Raikov wrote:
>> Would it be possible to modify chicken-setup to ignore all static
>> declarations when the build platform is Mac OS X? It is pretty
>> annoying to have to comment out all the static stuff every time I am
>> installing eggs on that platform.
>
> Is there a problem with building eggs statically on Mac OS X?
>
> ...Well, I'm presuming from the way you put it that there *is* :), but
> I'm more interested re: what it is and/or how serious it is.
> [...]

Hello,

I don't think it's a necessary to disable static linkage completely on
MacOS X -- the fact that Apple thinks static linkage is a Bad Thing (TM)
and doesn't offer static versions of system libraries doesn't mean it
can't be useful to link certain other libraries statically in a CHICKEN
application.

But I think it would be a good idea to modify chicken-setup such that it
doesn't run ranlib on plain object files before installing them --
somehow this works on Linux, but the version of ranlib shipping with
MacOS X doesn't like it. It would (at least as far as my personal taste
is concerned) be even better to install library files for static eggs
instead of plain objects.

cu,
Thomas