Re: [Chicken-users] Choosing a programming language for a web project

From: Kon Lovett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Choosing a programming language for a web project
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 18:37:31 -0700

On Sep 29, 2007, at 6:15 PM, Jean-Philippe Théberge wrote:

<quote who="John Cowan">
Jean-Philippe Théberge scripsit:

<snip>
You essentially never need to do that, because Chicken compiles into C anyhow, so just write in Scheme and leave it at that. Speed is a great
advantage of Chicken over the usual "scripting languages".

There is also the 'crunch' Chicken compiler. It takes an R5RS subset related to numeric & character vector/scalar & does a tight job. A decent choice for some algorithms.

Available as an "egg."

I guess (but maybe I'm wrong) that in some case, code written directly in
C will be better than the C generated by chicken.

How is the readeability of the chicken generated C?

The GNU C compiler can parse it just fine. But if you are not a C compiler, well, see http://galinha.ucpel.tche.br/chicken-compilation- process.

Best Wishes,
Kon

BTW, I guess should have asked if Windows is a desired hosting platform. But it seems you answered anyway.

--
<snip>