Re: [Chicken-users] build on Windows with cygwin

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] build on Windows with cygwin
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 14:27:07 +0200

On 9/19/07, Shawn Rutledge <address@hidden> wrote:

> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-05/msg01665.html
>
> "Incidentally, gcc distributed with cygwin is actually multi-targeted --
> it can produce binaries for two different platforms -- cygwin and
> mingw. By default the resulting binary is supposed to be run on cygwin
> platform, but if you add -mno-cygwin switch to command line, it switch
> to MinGW target, i.e. produce a binary to be run on MinGW platform."
>
> If you're trying to point out some other incompatibility, I didn't
> understand, sorry.  I do understand that regular cygwin programs
> depend on cygwin1.dll, but if it can also build in such a way that dll
> is not necessary, so much the better, right?

I just want to point out that cygwin is a complete environment, mirroring
something that could be considered a UNIXish layer on top of windows,
an emulation, in other words. mingw is basically just a gcc toolchain
targeting windows. Both are related, but are different environments.

> > Please send me the generated file (gzipped!) and I should be quickly
> > able to provide a suitable cygwin makefile.
>
> Here you go.

Excellent! I'll get back to you.