Re: [Chicken-users] Macro use at runtime in compiled code

From: Thomas Christian Chust
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Macro use at runtime in compiled code
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 15:01:55 +0200

Andrew Hunter wrote:

> [...]
> Anyway, I'm really unclear as to why the first version (just invoking
> the egg) didn't work and linking directly to syntax-case.o did.
> Shouldn't the sc-expand procedure be available the same way in either
> case?
> [...]

Hello,

I think what happens is that the syntax-case egg is marked as (syntax)
in its setup information, so the compiler loads the egg only during
compilation. The generated program doesn't ever load the egg when it
runs. In the interpreter on the other hand the distinction between
runtime and compile time simply doesn't exist.

Probably the right way to include the egg at runtime is by using
(require 'syntax-case) instead of (require-extension syntax-case).

cu,
Thomas