Re: [Chicken-users] Eggology

From: Sunnan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Eggology
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:25:17 +0200

felix winkelmann wrote:
I agree with Benedikt that dependencies should be kept at a minimum.
It starts with simple sharing of code but quickly everything ends up in
a tangle of dependencies that no one can comprehend.
What's the alternative? Should "tool" implement its own args documentation? Should array-lib implement its own miscmacros?

 "tool" is a good
example:

tool -> srfi-37, args-doc
args-doc -> srfi-37, srfi-95
srfi-95 -> array-lib
array-lib -> srfi-42, miscmacros, misc-extn
srfi-42 -> syntax-case

This is insane.
That example is a tree of non-circular dependencies.

Syntax-case is low-level, srfi-42 and miscmacros are control structures... This is part of what lisp is to me; layers upon layers of code.

Of course, I'm not saying that dependencies are an end in itself; I'm just wondering if you or Benedikt have an alternative suggestion.

Sunnan