Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken on the PS3

From: Peter Keller
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken on the PS3
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 11:54:16 -0500

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 11:33:23AM -0400, Brandon Van Every wrote:
> On 7/24/07, Peter Keller <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >config.guess seems to screw that up a bit, but it didn't seem to affect the
> >compilation and/or function of Chicken.
>
> Does the CMake build work?

I've never used cmake before, so I tried it out. I downloaded and
compiled cmake 2.4.7 from its home site without too much trouble.

However, the directions in the INSTALL-CMake.txt were slightly wrong.
Here is the relevant snippet:
        You now have the opportunity to change various settings if you
        wish, such as the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX.   This is the directory
        that Chicken will eventually be in stalled in after it is built.
        The default is /usr/local.  Once you've changed w hat you like,
        press [c] to Configure.   If configuration goes ok, you'll be
        given a new option, press [g] to Generate.    If Generation is
        successful, CCMake exits and you're done.

However, you're presented with CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY as the
*only* thing to change when you initially start ccmake /path/to/src and
that confused me for a while. You inexplicably need to press 'c' first
and *then* you're presented with the actual entries you can configure,
then you need to press 'c' again after you edit and then 'g' to generate
an exit.

Once I got beyond the initial confusion of how to use ccmake (without ever
having seen it before) it seemed to build and install ok.

Though there was some funny math in the build output when using ccmake:

[130%] Building C object static/CMakeFiles/libuchicken-static.dir/__/uutils.o

So, I'd say that Cmake worked just fine too.

Thank you.

-pete