Re: [Chicken-users] a file system using Chicken

From: Dan Muresan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] a file system using Chicken
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 15:54:50 +0300

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 03:30:15PM +0300, Dan Muresan wrote:
While I understand the spirit of POSIX advocacy, note that this thread is about a Linux file system. Also, care to share the concrete solution in this case? What's the POSIXly correct way to load a script in the current shell ("." or "source" in bash, neither of which works in dash)?

How about $(cat filename) or `cat filename`?

No. I'm surprised you've never run across the "source" or "." commands, they're fairly common. They execute execute scripts in the current shell (as opposed to spawning a new shell process). They're essential when you want a script to modify the environment of the current shell (e.g. set some shell variables, like the /etc/profile.d/* series). In my case though I was just micro-optimizing.

Cheers,
Dan