Re: [Chicken-users] a file system using Chicken

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] a file system using Chicken
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 14:04:57 +0200

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 09:43:33PM -0700, Matthew Welland wrote:
> On Saturday 09 June 2007 08:29:40 pm Dan Muresan wrote:
> > > errno.i:
> > >         ./gen_errno.sh >errno.i || $(RM) -f errno.i
> >
> > Another dash/bash problem on Debian or Ubuntu. I used the "source"
> > command to load a script in the current shell, and presumably this is
> > not POSIX, so dash (the default /bin/sh since last year) refuses it.
> > Does anyone know the POSIXly correct way?
>
> I don't know the answer to that but you could set the SHELL variable inside
> the Makefile to bash. Isn't it fairly safe to assume bash is ubiquitous?

Not really.  It is in the Linux world, but outside that, there are lots of
Unices that don't come with Bash.  In fact, one of the things that are most
annoying to Unix people who don't use Linux is the widespread hidden
assumption that /bin/sh points to bash.  The fact that bash doesn't act
like a POSIX shell, even in POSIX compat mode doesn't help.

Please don't assume bash is on a system if you don't have to.  Most
shellscripts can be easily rewritten to be POSIXly correct, with just
a little bit of work.  If you really have to use some more advanced
features, please consider using /bin/ksh, which is also standardized
by POSIX.  Again, many kshs deviate from the standard, so be careful
here too.

Thank you,
Peter
--