Re: [Chicken-users] R6RS Rant

From: Dan Muresan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] R6RS Rant
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 12:29:42 +0300

Umm, I might see my 60th birthday before packaging is core Scheme. (I don't think there should be anything else, except "optional.")

You forgot to mention your current age :)

Well, 'require-extension' is an accepted SRFI. And Chicken does support 'require' (I use it in the bloom-filter egg, however it isn't PLT-Scheme compliant) & 'load' (I use it in the 'procedure-surface' egg).

require-extension is very useful, even just as a cross-platform way of loading SRFIs. But you should read the SRFI-55 mail archive to see the incredible opposition it draws from some folks. Or try asking for require-extension on the PLT or Scheme 48 mailing lists.

Anyway... Two glaring omissions related to (load):

1) (include ...) is not standardized

2) no one has thought of specifying what nested (load) or nested (include) should do. That is, what happens when you have

x.scm
dir/y.scm
dir/z.scm

where x.scm does (load "dir/y.scm"), and y.scm does (load "z.scm"). Does dir/y.scm load the correct dir/z.scm, or the non-existent z.scm? Same for (include), of course.

R5RS does not standardize this, neither do most implementations specify what they do. In practice, most schemes use the absolute path convention, while SISC uses the relative path convention.

Cheers,
Dan