Re: [Chicken-users] file-exists? on Windows

From: Kon Lovett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] file-exists? on Windows
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 11:46:36 -0700

On May 14, 2007, at 11:28 AM, John Cowan wrote:

Mario Domenech Goulart scripsit:

Isn't (file-exists? ".\\") supposed to return ".\\" on windows?

Ah.  No.  The Win32 kernel does *not* ignore trailing backslashes the
way the Unix kernel ignores trailing slashes -- instead, it returns
file-not-found errors.

This comes down to a question of platform abstraction. Which I suspect is the unspoken point of Mario's. We do need to remember that whatever their compatibility layers/modes Win32 & MacOS X are not unix. But Chicken does seem to have a bent for providing a common filesystem view so '(file-exists? ".\\")' probably should work on Windows, with a little help from special case handling.

Note also that the root directory of a Win32 volume does not contain
"." or ".." files (Cygwin fakes them), so it is not even fully reliable
to ask if "." exists.

Since I use MinGW I think I link w/ the system dlls so the '_stat' implementation is native. I does appear to handle "." & ".." pathnames "correctly", given your point about the trailing directory separator above.

--
By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall     address@hidden
have neither the Ring nor me! --Frodo http://www.ccil.org/ ~cowan