Re: [Chicken-users] Rewriting Svnwiki in Java or PHP

From: Alejandro Forero Cuervo
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Rewriting Svnwiki in Java or PHP
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 15:38:37 +0000

> The disadvantage of svnwiki is that it depends on Subversion. Currently
> Adamantix uses Wiliki, which is written in Guache Scheme. It is perhaps
> not the best Wiki out there. But it is install and forget. I would switch
> to svnwiki because it has more features and is under active development
> (and because it runs on Chicken). I don't know if I would contribute,
> because I am still not a very good Scheme programmer. Most free software
> projects only have a few people who do most of the work.

I find it interesting you consider the dependance on Subversion a
disadvantage.  To me not only it is Svnwiki's greatest advantage, it
is it's raison d'etre: I didn't want the information for my
documentation (including history) to be stored in an adhoc format that
only my wiki used.

By using Subversion I can make a checkout of the entire documentation
and work on it locally to commit the changes back (this was very
useful yesterday, when I modified around 300 files linked from
http://bogowiki.org/bogotanismos to make the same change to all of
them) and it also has the consequence of creating backups for the
information in the wikis in lots of different drives.  I can even use
WebDAV to modify the information in the wikis or software such as
<http://wiki.freaks-unidos.net/svn-graph>, which doesn't have anything
Svnwiki-specific, on the contents of the wikis.

> Of course I could invest time to learn Subversion, but for what?

Once you've got it installed, I believe 15 minutes would be far more
than enough to learn well enough how to use it.  You may be
overestimating the time required to learn how to use it.

By the way, it should be possible to replace the dependency in
Subversion for a dependency in other version control systems, such as
DARCS or Monotone (or even, horrors, Svnwiki's adhoc format) and let
the admin decide what to use.  I don't have any interests in doing
this right now and it wouldn't be trivial, but I thought I would
mention it.  Do you currently use any kind of version control
software?

> Somewhere in the distant future I could contribute svnwiki packages
> for Adamantix, Debian, and Ubuntu.

To me the only disadvantage depending on Subversion has is that it
makes the installation process for Svnwiki a little bit more complex
than it would be if it used its own adhoc format.  To me, having
Svnwiki packages for Debian for would be a great advantage.  :-)

Thanks for your message.

Alejo.
http://azul.freaks-unidos.net/