Re: [Chicken-users] Ann: url egg 3.0

From: Kon Lovett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Ann: url egg 3.0
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 20:49:16 -0800

On Mar 9, 2007, at 8:13 PM, Daishi Kato wrote:

Sounds great.

1) I still think calling this thing the url egg wasn't a great idea.
The url API is deprecated so confusion is possible. And the exported
namespace is 'uri-'.

The point is that there are still some eggs and user code (of mine,
for instance:-) that depends on old url APIs.
Or, the url API is really deprecated?

Yes, but I cannot see it going away anytime soon. Probably at the 4.0 release. In any case it is "fixed" at version 1.7 behavior so people should move away from it.

I just don't think the combined egg should be called 'url'. The preferred API consists of the 'uri-' procedures, so the name is confusing. I think a uri egg w/ the 'url-' procedures will ease migration w/o name confusion. (Ok, your not confused. I'm not confused. Felix isn't confused. But a new user might be.)

Daishi
<snip>