Re: [Chicken-users] Problem mapping to "unsigned char *"

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Problem mapping to "unsigned char *"
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 09:22:56 -0500

Tony Sidaway scripsit:

> Yes, you would want to use c-string without a sign qualification if
> the sign is to be decided by the compiler.  It's when the programmer
> makes a choice (presumably because it matters at some semantic level
> or other) that I'd suggest that the foreign interface should permit us
> to follow that choice (just as it provides signed and unsigned
> qualifications for scalars).

Fair enough; I didn't understand.  Unsigned-c-string seems fine, then.
(I can't believe anyone would deliberately ask for signed characters;
they basically only exist because the PDP-11 automatically did sign
extension on 8-bit values when loaded into a 16-bit register.

--
With techies, I've generally found              John Cowan
If your arguments lose the first round          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan