Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit

From: Dinesh Nadarajah
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 08:07:50 -0600

How about WxWidgets? It is very much a multiplatform GUI tool. On Linux/BSD/Unix systems, Wx maps to Gtk (not sure but may also be Qt). On Windows, it maps to the Win32 API and on OS X it maps to the Carbon/Cocoa interface (It is a standard install part of XCode). This way, widgets are rendered using native engines. It might be really useful alternative.

-Dinesh

On 2/7/07, felix winkelmann <address@hidden> wrote:
On 2/7/07, Daniel Sadilek <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Fully understandable, but Qt is big and I fear that a complete wrapper
> > will end up as a huge lump that has continuously be maintained (to stay
> > complete). The qt egg is explicitly meant as a lightweight facility for
> > exploiting the meta-object protocol of Qt - sort of an experiment (but
> > still quite useful).
>
> Hm, I think a "cross-platform gui toolkit" is a big thing anyway?
> Let's assume you want a lighwight GUI toolkit. You said, you want to
> accomplish the platform independency by implementing your API against
> different existing platform specific toolkits. I suppose that approach
> will take as least as much effort as when you implement your API
> against QT, because the platform independency is encapsulated in it.

You may be right there: but with support for a couple of toolkits, you gain one
very important thing: improved independence regarding platforms and
libraries.

> Last but not least: Couldn't the meta-object protocol of QT actually
> help to write a wrapper that is not as fragile regarding changes of QT
> as wrappers for other toolkits regarding their changes?

Right, too. Really, "targeting" Qt(4) is a perfectly reasonable
choice. Actually,
I have no clue what's the best option - but I fear committing to one particular
toolkit.