Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 23:42:41 -0800

felix winkelmann wrote:
Hi!

Something that we desperately need, IMHO, is a cross-platform GUI
toolkit. Several people have mentioned this at various times and for
plain application-delivery beyond POSIX functionality some sort of
GUI will likely to make chicken more usable.

It should be easy, dumb, straightforward. Simple, traditional event-handling,
a core set of easy-to-port widgets, a small and simple API. Backends to
various existing gui toolkits (Gtk, Qt, FLTK, Win32(?)) should be supported using a greatest common divisor aproach.

And why would you prefer a little bit of every toolkit, as opposed to picking 1 toolkit and doing a good job wrapping all its functionality? If you target every toolkit out there, then it'll be capable of very little. Too trivial for more than toys.

More funky abstractions can
be built on top of that and eggs could provide more specialized widget
sets, particular to a specific GUI backend.

This reminds me of complete total PITA design like Xlib / Xt / Motif. Been there, done that. Don't do it. The results will suck.

I have a good deal of Qt experience, a bit of FLTK and generally not
enough resources to create this on my own (surprise!). I also am unable
to do any windows-related coding.

Would there be someone interested in taking this up or join me with
such an undertaking?

It's suicide. Bind Qt. It doesn't matter if Qt is not all things to all people. It has a community behind it, which will cause growth of Chicken. You dabble a little in every GUI out there, and you have nothing.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every