Re: [Chicken-users] inventory of community skills

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] inventory of community skills
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 23:50:46 -0800

Shawn Rutledge wrote:
But you're saying I'm going to have
trouble with mouse events, right?

I'd call it gruntwork rather than trouble. Mouse events on everyone's pet OS is a boring problem. Plenty of OpenGL windowing toolkits have dealt with it in some way. But there's a plethora of such toolkits out there, without any one of them clearly being a preferred solution. To me this says the problem is probably just boring gruntwork, and the results are totally dependent on the persistence of the particular people working on the particular projects. It's very easy to get sick of things and to lapse into irrelevance or an insufficiently maintained state. Generally, I think this is why people hate external dependencies. A lot of external things aren't that dependable, so you end up throwing up your hands and solving it in your own code. Most people can maintain their own code easier than someone else's code.

I'd say pick the ONE thing that Chicken--or even Scheme itself, seriously
lacks that noone wants to touch with a ten foot pole. You could ask this
entire list what it is and after a while a consensus would form. Take

Would that be threading?  :-)

If I get into Cell Broadband Engine development (the guts of the Playstation3) then I might care. But I'll surely care in a Cell-specific way, which will probably be useless for application developers in general. If I don't get into the Cell BE, then I won't care.

I don't think, in general, that we can pick some "one" thing that Chicken really needs and then all pitch in to do it. I think what we can do, is establish what we're personally interested in, and then ask who's willing to lead such-and-such an effort. I would expect community energies to split in various directions. I also think that's healthy. I may not care much about widgets, but they are useful for various kinds of programming, and Chicken can grow if someone coughs them out.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every