Re: [Chicken-users] inventory of community skills

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] inventory of community skills
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 21:32:35 -0800

Peter Keller wrote:
I haven't contributed in a long time and your message has made me
realize why.

While I'm happy to write large and complex pieces of code that solve
interesting problems for open source projects, I basically don't want/have
time to maintain them. It really is something like a fear of an obligation
of maintenance which is keeping me from contributing more. It probably
stems from the stress of having to fix tons of difficult bugs in the
software I am employed to work on every day (distributed computing
has its own class of mind shattering bugs too), and when I get home,
the last thing I want to do is customer support--again.

Indeed. I've been doing it without a paycheck for over a year. It's not an equitable balancing of the wants and needs of an open source community. What we all *want*, is for our software to be a profitable activity. If you bother with Chicken when you get home after work, you want it to do something for you. Not do a whole pile of things for it.

An ideal, theoretical open source business model, would spread the impacts of development evenly over the entire community. So that nobody has much work to do. Then people can rationalize, "Ok, if I contribute a few evenings a month to the open source labor, we'll all have this great Chicken system," that for the most part enables everyone to get Real And Fun Things Done [TM].

This is an entirely theoretical proposition. A lot of Von Neumann game theory would suggest that it's impossible. This specific game is called "The Stag Hunt." Although the community would benefit as a whole if everyone went out to hunt a stag, and everyone took equal burdens and risk in so doing, it actually pays to slack off and stay home. You don't get hurt, and the stag hunters will bring home the meat anyways. Someone playing the game "rationally," rather than cooperatively, will stay home.

I think the way most open source communities are actually organized, is a few key people are ideologically driven. Something bugs them very much about software, so they hack and hack and hack and hack to try to fix it. Their software products are somewhat beneficial to others, so communities arise around them. People glom onto a project if they think they can solve their own ideological issues without much additional work over what others have already done. This is why I joined the Chicken project originally, for instance. I didn't anticipate that I'd be banging on things for so long. I have strong ideology about "builds not sucking," having been burned by so many of them.

So the upshot of this email is that some people just want to write the
code that will solve the problem initially, but not participate in its
evolution.  You should have room in your organization markup for such
a person.

It can be marked as such in a database. But what would ever stimulate anyone to finish anything and make it usable? I think there are answers for that, potentially.

One is inherent in various people's psychology. In Belbin managerial theory there's one type known as the "Completer Finisher." That person is very driven to complete things. Can't remember if they're any good at starting them; probably not. Similarly, there's a type called the "Plant" that is great at chucking out new things, but gets bored with them fairly quickly. So, combining people into teams, where different people take on different psychological roles, can accomplish a lot more than they could individually. Individually, they all have their sticking points, and predictably get stuck.

Another is the "Tom Sawyer" principle I hearkened to earlier. I have some ideas about how that might get going. I have an idea for an animated mascot called "Project CyberChicken." But I will hold off on any real discussion of that, until I see what kind of workloads I can actually take on in the next few weeks. It's possible that with signature gathering season upon me, I simply can't do anything right now, let alone lead a project. So no use getting people all hot and bothered about how cool the CyberChicken could be.

A third is to find a way to amplify ideology. That's implicit in an inventory of community skills. The presumption is that 5 OpenGL guys are more powerful than 1 OpenGL guy.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every