Re: [Chicken-users] building on windows

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] building on windows
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 20:23:01 -0800

Mark Baily wrote:
Hi Felix,
I tried retrieving the latest subversion revision 2791 then copied into it the boot/cfiles/*.* from the chicken 2.5 release.

Why did you do that?  It may not matter, but it is not a supported way to build.  Only .tar.gz .zip distros are meant to use boot/cfiles/*.*.  If you're building straight from a Darcs repository, you don't need boot/cfiles/*.*.  You do of course need a working Chicken compiler.

I haven't considered whether building from a Subversion repository introduces a difficulty.  I do know you won't be able to build a Changelog, as you need a Darcs repository for that.  To be honest I don't understand why we support a Subversion repository for Chicken proper.  Awhile back, Felix was saying that he and myself were the only 2 people using Darcs.  Well, if everyone else is using Subversion, that would have a lot to do with it.

I am building with VC++ 2005 Express now, with a bunch of new patches pulled in.  I will post my results in a few hours.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every