Re: [Chicken-users] building on windows

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] building on windows
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 16:08:56 -0800

felix winkelmann wrote:
On 12/24/06, Mark Baily <address@hidden> wrote:
Is the thrashing you're talking about occurring inside the actual compiler or inside chicken-boot.exe produced by the compiler? The infinite loop I get
is inside chicken-boot.exe.

I tried the stack size thing, but it didn't fix.

If you add something pointless (like "(void)") to stub.scm,
does it still hang? You could also try to add additional flags to
the chicken-boot invocation, like "-verbose -debug p" to see
the specific compiler pass it's hanging in (or whether different
command-line options change memory usage - which may indicate
a GC loop).

I haven't tried any of these, don't have time at present. I have reproduced the "infinite compile in stub.scm" behavior using VC++ 2005 Express. Interestingly, Chicken 2.3 builds chicken-boot.exe just fine. chicken-boot.exe is the one that chokes, when compiling E:/devel/src/chicken/stub.scm to E:/devel/vc8/chicken/stub.c. So it is only a recent Chicken that has the problem. I will try some earlier Chicken builds to see if I can narrow down when this started happening.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every