[Chicken-users] Re: any Windows Emacs haters here?

From: Reed Sheridan
Subject: [Chicken-users] Re: any Windows Emacs haters here?
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 00:01:23 -0600

From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <address@hidden>
Subject: [Chicken-users] any Windows Emacs haters here?
To: address@hidden

I've had it with XEmacs, since by default it doesn't even indent my C
code properly.  I'm not about to chase around its stupid configuration
magic invocations anymore...

So, I'm looking at modifying one of the open source MinGW IDEs to
support Chicken and CMake.  I'm curious if this approach to life has any
appeal for anyone around here.  Or am I the only Windows MinGW guy?  I'm
just curious how other people have been getting by, and if you're as
sick of clumsy / broken toolchains as I am.

Although I'm not using Windows now, I used GNU Emacs in a terminal
under Cygwin, and it was stable.

Modifying the internals of some other IDE to avoid configuring your
.emacs isn't going to save you any grief.  Quite the opposite.  You
could probably figure out how to get Emacs to indent your code the way
you want in a day, at worst.  But, assuming that you're not already
familiar with your new IDE's internals, you could spend weeks or
months getting it to work properly for your purposes.  You know how
this stuff is, it always takes longer than you think, even when you
have taken account of the fact that it always takes longer than you
think.  And who's to say that it won't turn out to have serious flaws
of its own, which would render your work useless?

You can probably just swipe something from here and solve your problem quickly:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/IndentingC

Reed Sheridan