Re: [Chicken-users] understanding the CMake build

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] understanding the CMake build
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 17:56:51 -0700

Thomas Chust wrote:
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

[...] Why do you have include and library search paths at all? Chicken knows where to find its *.h and library files; it's all compiled into chicken-defaults.h.

Because there is no way *not* to have at least the default search paths of the C compiler enabled, unless one uses a customized GCC buid. And because there is also no way *not* to have at least the default search paths of the dynamic linker enabled unless one also uses a custom build of that tool.

Other than these default paths, no additional ones are set up on my system.

Ok, GCC's paths are fine. I thought you meant you had added, say, -I /usr/local/chicken/include and -L /usr/local/chicken/lib to every compilation anywhere, regardless of whether you're using Chicken or not. I don't think it would be a good idea to have such directives when Chicken is building Chicken.

[...] If you had stuff lying around in your source tree from an old Autoconf build, that could be the culprit.

I made a fresh copy of my darcs tree using darcs get to use it as the source tree for the CMake build.

Hm, well, I'll put the INCLUDE and LIB bulletproofing in, such as I can. Then we'll see.

[...] For this kind of issue, you'd need to write a trivial CMakeLists.txt that reproduces the problem, then get on the CMake mailing list and report the bug.

I'll do that if it actually annoys me and if I have too much time for constructing a minimal example of the problem. csc -static ... works perfectly as it should even though I removed chicken-static and csi-static. And I can live with a build producing strange executables which I just throw away.

Ok, but realize, that doesn't help either Chicken or CMake get better, nor attract new users. Next guy that comes along has the same problem, doesn't think to report them, calls Chicken or CMake a bad project, goes on to something else. But really neither one is a bad project, they're open source projects. I think the cost of using open source is doing small amounts of testing and submitting some bug reports. Of course we each have to decide week to week what we're willing to do. I just don't think, "Eh, it's just a little broken, no big deal" is very good for open source. People often tout that open source is superior to closed source because bugs get fixed faster. It would be depressing if certain aspects of the culture actually made it work in reverse!

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every