[Chicken-users] Dart Dashboard support

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: [Chicken-users] Dart Dashboard support
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 13:44:57 -0700

Someone sorta randomly e-mailed me for help with Dart Dashboard stuff last night. I had no experience with it, so after making a cursory effort to help the guy out, I tossed the problem to William Hoffman of Kitware. Bill got me to understand how trivial it is to at least activate a dashboard, if not implement all the bells and whistles. It cost me 1 line in CMakeLists.txt. The results popped up at
http://public.kitware.com/Public/Dashboard/20060910-0100-Nightly/Dashboard.html
in the "Experimental Builds" section as site "KAHLO" (the name of my PC, as in the artist Frida Kahlo), build name "Win32-make". I don't have any tests written for it, but it did record all 50 compiler warnings:
http://public.kitware.com/Public/Sites/KAHLO/Win32-make/20060910-1619-Experimental/BuildWarning.html

So, the Dart Dashboard is what we're going with for testing. I'll be pursuing this project passively, not aggressively (and not passive-agressively. ;-) By typing "ctest -D Experimental" in my build directory, I can pop up a dashboard any old time. I don't have to have a nightly build ritual or anything like that; I'll worry about it later, someday. At some point, once I've got some tests worth looking at, I'll come up with better nomenclature so we can all find the same project and build names. Meanwhile, you can do "ctest -D Experimental" yourselves if you're interested in what pops out on the Kitware Public Dashboard. More info on Dashboards at http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake in the "Tutorials: CTest" section.

Most of the compiler warnings are about implicit declarations of ALLOCA, btw. I will probably want to suppress warnings when building chicken-boot, as we really don't care about warnings from legacy Chicken compilers used during the bootstrap. Maybe I'll suppress warnings if the compiler is older than some particular version. Note, however, that implicit declarations of ALLOCA happen in the current compiler, so it's worth cleaning that up at some point.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every