Re: [Chicken-users] Bug in new numbers.egg dependencies

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Bug in new numbers.egg dependencies
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:07:02 -0400

felix winkelmann scripsit:

> The list of requirements must be reversed, here is a patch for
> chicken-setup.scm:

Ah, thanks.

I've been using chicken-setup from local files this weekend, and I've
discovered that it insists on downloading the repository and will not
look at a local file named "repository".  Since dependency information
exists only in the repository, there is no way to get the correct
installation automatically if you have a directory with several eggs in
it:  "chicken-setup numbers" will install numbers.egg from the current
directory, but will ignore any other needed eggs that are there.

I think the solution to this problem is to put the dependency information
into the .setup file as a new property, and have chicken-setup
calculate the transitive value of the property when installing an egg.
Thus numbers.setup would say (depends-on easyffi) and easyffi.setup would
say (depends-on silex) and the order of eggs in the depends-on property
wouldn't matter, as chicken-setup would be able to topologically sort
the graph.

This would require re-releasing all eggs, but would simplify the
repository to a simple list of egg names, egg files, and dates.

--
John Cowan                                address@hidden
han mathon ne chae, a han noston ne 'wilith.  --Galadriel, LOTR:FOTR