Re: [Chicken-users] CMake tarballs

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] CMake tarballs
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 09:40:01 -0700

John Cowan wrote:
Brandon J. Van Every scripsit:

What tools are these?  Do they handle forks or variants?  If they only
handle one true version, that's not very useful.

They're used by ibiblio that I know of for sure, and probably
other standard repositories as well.

Forks and variants are handled by changing the name part of the
"name-version.format" style.  Note that the name can contain
hyphens and the version and format can contain periods (as in "tar.gz").
The assumption made is that if you have foo-bar-123.tar.gz
and foo-bar-124.tar.gz (or baz-12a.zip or baz-12b.zip), the
first of each pair has been superseded by the second.

So chicken-2.41c would look like a later version than chicken-2.41,
which is not the case.

I think I could live with chicken-c-2.41.tar.gz.

I'm not keen on naming the build in a way that looks "unofficial" or
"special" or "different."  As in, "what the hell is this -cmake-
thing??"  I want people to just use the build.

But it *is* an unofficial build, at least for now.

Well why don't I name it chicken-dont-use-this-its-unofficial-2.41.tar.gz then?  I'm not interested in an unappetizing name, if such names there be.  It will never become official if it is not consumed.

And of course it
relies on the user already having cmake or being willing to install
it.

Testily, I say, so what?  It also relies on people having a friggin' C compiler, a minimum level of technical literacy, and probably other things.

  The same is true of autoconf/automake, of course, but those are
more widely distributed so far.

It only relies on people having a Unix shell.  Convenient, but it sure makes people lazy.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every