[Chicken-users] CMake Windows paths

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: [Chicken-users] CMake Windows paths
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 02:59:09 -0700

Passing around -D arguments to my CMake scripts was hell. Way too much potential for screwed up quotes as things crossed through system shells. For the CMake build only, I eliminated the use of chicken-defaults.h in favor of 2 separate files, chicken-paths.h and stack-size.h. This is because they are determined at different compilation times. chicken-paths.h is entirely determined at configuration, so it is easiest to use CONFIGURE_FILE to handle it. stack-size.h is much more involved. nsample has to be built, which means libchicken has to be built. Since the DEFAULT_TARGET_STACK_SIZE is generated in the course of the build, CONFIGURE_FILE can't be used and the substitution logic is more complicated.

So now I have exactly the Windows paths I think I want in chicken-paths.h. It can be easily examined to determine if the path itself is specified correctly. There is no chasing around with debug MESSAGEs wondering whether what I see in a dialog box is what I'm getting in my build.

So having built a clearer infrastructure, my 2 questions are:
- am I specifying the Windows paths correctly
- if so, then is Chicken handling them correctly

I'm currently undecided on these 2 points. CMake does build, at least. I get warnings about unknown escape sequences, which may mean I need "C:\\Program Files\\Chicken" instead of "C:\Program Files\Chicken". More work on this tomorrow.

Do not expect the CMake build to do everything correctly at present. I doubt the paths are working, and I know for fact that "csc -cflags" is broken.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every