Re: [Chicken-users] CMake/MinGW build 325 is using wrong (Unix) filename

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] CMake/MinGW build 325 is using wrong (Unix) filename separat
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 13:45:43 -0400

Brandon J. Van Every scripsit:

> Using MinGW under a Cygwin shell sounds pathological, kinky, error
> prone, unlikely, and not something we should worry about supporting.

On the contrary: it is a very reasonable and principled thing to do,
not different from cross-compiling Win32 code under Linux.

> People use MinGW to abandon Cygwin, so that they're not tied to its
> GPL.

That is to say, to develop applications that are not bound by the GPL
or that make full use of the Win32 DLLs.  That is very different from
abandoning Cygwin altogether.

The Q language <http://q-lang.sf.net>, for example, is released for
both *ix and Windows systems.  The Windows version is built under
Cygwin using MinGW to be executed on systems that have neither.
(It can also be built natively under Cygwin, of course.)

The implementation is still under the GPL, so that is not the reason
for using MinGW.

> If someone is heavily using Cygwin with MinGW flags, they can do the
> support / testing work for this and contribute it to Chicken.

Fair enough.  I'm certainly not -- I build and run Chicken solely
under Cygwin, and as soon as the CMake builds actually work I'll be
trying them out in that environment.

--
John Cowan  address@hidden  http://ccil.org/~cowan
If he has seen farther than others,